Google's Newest Target
Photo by Daniel Romero / Unsplash

Google's Newest Target

Plus, Biden's crypto order.

Steven Lerner
Steven Lerner

Today is Tuesday, March 8, 2022.

New to this newsletter? Sign up here.

Google's Newest Target: Mandiant

Google (Nasdaq: GOOGL) is in talks to acquire cybersecurity consultancy Mandiant (Nasdaq: MNDT), according to a report from The Information on Monday.

Details: The multibillion-dollar deal would represent the second-largest acquisition for Google. It would also help support Google’s cloud computing business, which is in a competitive market.

Numbers: Shares of Mandiant jumped 16.05% on the news. Meanwhile, shares of Google dropped 4.19% on Monday.

Big Picture: It was previously reported that Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is also in talks to buy Mandiant.

Final Thoughts: If Google did buy Mandiant, would federal regulators try to step in and stop it?


Notable Earnings Today: Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE: DKS), Bumble (Nasdaq: BMBL), Petco Health & Wellness (Nasdaq: WOOF), MongoDB (Nasdaq: MDB), Kopin (Nasdaq: KOPN), Stitch Fix (Nasdaq: SFIX), Matinas (NYSEAmerican: MTNB), Aterian (Nasdaq: ATER), Nine Energy (NYSE: NINE), Figs (NYSE: FIGS), Casey's General Stores (Nasdaq: CASY), CareMax (Nasdaq: CMAX), W&T Offshore (NYSE: WTI), Century Casinos (Nasdaq: CNTY), Cricut (Nasdaq: CRCT), Avid Bioservices (Nasdaq: CDMO), ABM Industries (NYSE: ABM), American Vanguard (NYSE: AVD), Barnes & Noble Education (NYSE: BNED), Blueknight Energy Partners (Nasdaq: BKEP), Civitas Resources (NYSE: CIVI), Fuel Tech (Nasdaq: FTEK), Greenlight Capital Re (Nasdaq: GLRE), Nuvei (TSE: NVEI), PureCycle Technologies (Nasdaq: PCT), Vertex Energy (Nasdaq: VTNR), High Peak (Nasdaq: HPK).

Notable IPOs Today: Alpha Tau Medical Ltd. Class A Ordinary Shares (Nasdaq: DRTS).

Notable Equity Crowdfunding Campaigns Ending Today: Galexa (StartEngine), Canine Biologics (NetCapital).

Notable Economic Events Today: Exports/Imports/Trade Balance (8:30 a.m. ET), Wholesale Inventories (10:00 a.m. ET), API Weekly Crude Oil Stock (4:30 p.m. ET).

Biden’s Crypto Executive Order Reportedly Coming This Week

The United States Capitol Building
Photo by Joshua Sukoff / Unsplash

President Joe Biden is expected to sign an executive order on cryptocurrency this week, according to a report from Reuters on Monday.

Details: The order would likely require the Justice Department, Treasury, and other agencies to study the legal and economic ramifications of creating a U.S. central bank digital currency.

Background: Rumors have been swirling for weeks that the Biden administration would issue such an executive order, which would regulate the crypto sector.

Mixed Reaction: Some crypto enthusiasts hate the idea of any regulation, saying that it might stifle the sector. Others see this as a step to legitimize crypto.

Final Thoughts: Despite the news, most crypto prices went up on Monday.

Why Are Commodity-Based Investments Going Strong?

Recently, commodities have seen some of their biggest gains in the past few years.

Examples: Oil, gold, silver, and wheat are among the commodities that have gone up in the past month.

Conflict: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has propelled prices of commodities, especially because investors expect supply chain disruptions from the pandemic.

Economics: Inflation and rising rate environments tend to be good for commodities, which is where the economy is now.

Final Thoughts: Commodity-based investments have done better than growth stocks so far in 2022.

Increasing: Oil prices hit 14-year highs on Russia oil ban talks, Iran deal delay (Reuters)

Grounded: Airline stocks slump as jet fuel surge overshadows travel rebound (CNBC)

IPO News: Intel Files to Take Self-Driving Unit Mobileye Public (The Wall Street Journal)

Spotting Risk: Coinbase to Label Some Assets as ‘Experimental’ in Bid to Boost Transparency (CoinDesk)

90% Chance of No Nuclear Apocalypse: There's a 10% chance of a nuclear apocalypse in the next year, one research firm says (Seeking Alpha)

Thank you for reading!

Forward to a friend and tell them to sign up here.

Want more investing tips? Listen to the podcast.

Questions or comments? Hit reply to reach out.